San Julián co-Cathedral

We follow Iglesia street towards the port until we reach SAN JULIAN CO-CATHEDRAL.

Designed by the engineer Julián Sánchez Bort in 1763, construction began three years later with the intention of replacing the primitive parish church which had suffered serious damage due to the works done in the arsenal and the moat. It was built in granite masonry in a neoclassical style, with a floor plan in the shape of a cross and has four lateral chapels. Its great architectural value resides in the balance and harmony achieved. The outstanding feature of the façade is the two narrow and tall twin towers topped with domes that house various bells, and the arcade. It acquired the status of Co-cathedral of the Diocese of Mondoñedo – Ferrol in 1959.