San Francisco church

The construction of San Francisco began in 1755 following the canons of the Franciscan conventual churches of the 17th century. The Doric main façade and the classical aesthetics of the interior are possibly due to a design by Bada Navajas. The “Capilla de la Orden Tercera” (Chapel of the Third Order) was added at a later date. It was designed by Pedro Lizardi and construction began in 1763. After a three-year break, work was restarted by Luis Atocha. Inside, the nativity scene of the Third Order has been an attraction during Easter week for some decades.